The following homes are listed as historic and are primarily situated in the middle part of the island, which is the highest point on Pawleys Island.
Joseph Blythe Allston House (Pawley House) 441 Myrtle Ave.
This house stands on the land owned by R.F.W. Allston, governor of South Carolina: 1856-1858. His nephew, Joseph Blyth Allston, obtained the land in 1866 and it is thought he then moved this circa 1800 house onto his property. After Hurricane Hugo struck South Carolina in 1989, the house was extensively altered and placed on a higher foundation. Mortise-and-tenon joints with pegs can still be seen under the house.
R.F.W. Allston House 458 Myrtle Ave.
This summer residence was owned by Robert F.W. Allston (1801-1864) when the state of South Carolina granted the marsh behind it to him in 1846. Allston was a large property and slave owner, a successful rice planter, and served as governor of South Carolina from 1856-1858. The house remained in the family until 1901. After Hurricane Hugo struck South Carolina in 1989, the house was placed on higher wooden posts.
P.C.J. Weston House/Pelican Inn 506 Myrtle Ave.
Plowden Weston, Lt. Governor of South Carolina from 1862-1864, obtained land here in 1844 and by 1858 had built this beach residence. The Weston family sold the property to William St. Julien Mazyck in 1864, who sold the house to Atlantic Coast Lumber Company in 1901. The company permitted its employes to vacation here. After an ownership change some years later, the house was named The Pelican Inn.
All Saints Summer Parsonage/The Rectory 510 Myrtle Ave.
This house, built by 1848, served as the summer parsonage for All Saints Episcopal Church for many years. Evening summer services were held here by the congregation, which inluded a number of rice plantation owners who spent summers at Pawleys Island. The parsonage/rectory was sold by the congregation in 1960 to its present owner.
All Saints Academy Summer House 566 Myrtle Ave.
This house was built between 1838 and 1848 by All Saints Academy for the summer residence of its headmaster. Robert F.W. Allston, Governor of South Carolina from 1856-1858, actively participated in leadership of the academy. After some years, the academy's dwelling passed to private, individual ownership. It was extensively damaged by Hurricane Hugo in 1989 but has been meticulously restored.
Nesbit/Norburn House 560 Myrtle Ave.
By 1842, this house was here on Pawleys Island and was owned by Robert Nesbit (1799-1848). A native of Scotland and a rice planter in this area, Nesbit also owned nearby "Caledonia" plantation. The house on Pawleys remained in the Nesbit family until after the death of Ralph Nesbit in 1938. It was then sold to Dr. Charles Norburn of Asheville, NC.
LaBruce/Lemon House 546 Myrtle Ave.
This house was built on 10 acres of beach land by the laBruce family who were successful rice planters in this area of All Saints Parish. According to local tradition, two small dwellings on the property were slave cabins. The residence was purchased by Calhoun Lemon of Barnwell, SC in 1952 and still remains in this family. Additions have been made to the house through the years.
Ward House/Liberty Lodge 520 Myrtle Ave.
This house, one of the oldest on Pawleys, was reputedly moved here after 1858. It stands on land once owned by area rice planter Joshua J. Ward (1800-1853), who was Lt. Governor of South Carolina in 1850-1852. The house has hand hewn sills and joists and mortise-and-tenon joints. It remained in the Ward family until 1912, when it sold to Cornelia C. Ehrich, who named it Liberty Lodge. Ownership is still in this family.
Allston's Bank (South Causeway)
In 1846 Governor Robert F.W. Allston constructed the south causeway. It was known at the time as Allston's Bank. In 1901, the Allston Family sold their 20 acre tract on Pawleys Island and the causeway to the Atlantic Coast Lumber Company for $5,000. It is the oldest causeway in continuous use in South Carolina.